3.3.11

Amed Adventure


I went to Amed Bali and decided to drive on our own instead of using the pick-up service from the hotel we’re staying. Because we really want to experience the adventure and adventure it was. Mild one I must say.

Armed with a google map only off we go to the other untouchable part of Bali.
Three and a half hours later and oh a little stop to ask here and there we finally arrive in Amed.
You actually can reach Amed in three hours but since Phil is a cautious driver we were running a little behind, but I don’t mind it’s a new experience after seeing how Indonesian driving it’s time to consider about your safety. 



We were welcome by a beautiful and friendly staff where they ushered us to the bar for a fresh welcome drink and they show us our room that located right in front of the beautiful lush garden and a charming pool overlooking the ocean. 




The room is nice come with just the right size, the bed is equipped with a drapery mosquito net where they put flowers on the bed. It has a small couch and coffee table where they put two cups, coffee, tea, and sugar. The bathroom is clean and it has a semi outdoor shower. 

There was no TV and telephone in the room, I’m not sure is it just in our hotel or is it same to any hotel in Amed. But luckily the hotel provide some of books in the reception area. It’s quite a rescue cause I didn’t bring anything to read while Phil is so cozy with his ipad, I don’t think he would ever need a book. But even so he still pick one book from the library.
We were staying at Blue Moon Villas by the way.

There’s no light on the street so there’s no way you can walk at night.  
It feels like I’m having an early Nyepi (Silent Day) but with good company (: 

We managed to find a nice restaurant for dinner. It looks so fancy from outside 
white and big building that situated higher than other buildings,
but very simple from inside and it feels like home. 
You get to see the pantry where they prepare the food.  
Again don’t expect too much from the restaurant here,
the food was ok at least they’re trying to give their best. 



But Phil’s meal was delicious, pork ribs served with mashed potato and vegetable.
They cook the pork so nice cause it feels so tender.
Mine was ok, the fish is not fresh so it tasted a bit hard. 
Then we finished off our dinner with a sweet treat 
a home made pancake with caramel sauce served with vanilla ice cream.  

Not much of pictures I can take because I was too busy enjoying my solitude mostly with my book. 

The view is unmistakably gorgeous, 
the ocean, 






the trees along the beach, 




some traditional huts,


 we even found a very small cave that leads to... nothing actually, there’s a temple too. 







But don’t expect anything fancy and please put away “modern” from your head. 
Cause the place is small and I don’t see any infrastructure except for 
numerous bungalows lined up along the streets. 
You can see some small restaurants and simple cafes along the way,
they also have “A Spa” where we went and apparently they only have one room
err.. not so much of a room actually it’s more of a semi outdoor room.
I think they try to make this “blend with nature” concept which goes along so well with westerners.
Since the visitors are mostly foreigners.
Luckily they have a curtain so it prevents us from being a semi nude reality show.  

For activities since the place is remote and quiet you can do yoga almost everywhere,
preferably by the beach where you can also sun baking there.
They also have a bike tour activity you can do other than diving. 
No they won’t take you for a seven hours ride no ! 
They only have a couple of hours ride but it starts in the morning so it’s really good for an early bird
and no it’s not something for you to consider sleepyhead.  

But what troubles me is that you can see there’s a big gap between the visitors and the locals. Most of the bungalows are standing nicely when you compare to the local’s humble crib. You can tell how poor they are just by looking at their environment, it was very dirty especially because it’s been raining you can see a little flood that stays in their area since it’s situated lower than the main road. I won’t be surprised if they catch a cold or other disease.
Ok I’m not gonna complain about my government in my blog, let me keep it to myself so I can think of a solution and also for you fellow Indonesian.  

Anyways, here are some clothes I wore while I'm in Amed




Overall the trip was a fine one. We made it with just a google map and
at least we can proudly say “Yeah I’ve been to Amed”... 

No comments:

Post a Comment